Since each of us is genetically unique, one size does not fit all. Like shoes, they must fit to be effective for us. The most expensive supplement is the one that doesn’t work.
So how do we measure your unique needs? Over the past 27 years of blood, tissue, salivary, and urine testing for nutritional needs and optimum health, I have seen that virtually everyone needs the “Core 4″:
- A high grade multiple Vitamin and Mineral designed to be used at 4, 6, or 8 capsules per day is the foundation of an effective supplement program.
- Vitamin D at levels to optimize your Vitamin D blood levels is profoundly important. A 25-0H Vitamin D-3 blood test is used to determine your optimum dosage.
- Separate magnesium supplementation is essential for many to manage stress, relax nerves, and muscles, and boost cellular energy and health. This should be taken first thing in the morning and before bed at the maximum dose you can take without creating loose stools.
- EPA-DHA supplementation. This concentrate from fish oil needs to be certified free of mercury, toxic chemicals, and rancidity. The professional-grade brands I recommend are below detectable levels for these contaminants at parts per billion to assure safety and effectiveness.
So how can we measure your supplement needs and how well they are working for you?
My favorite budget-friendly choice is the “Body Composition and Metabolism Test.”
This whole-body bioimpedence tool measures cellular function a picture of your metabolism, toxicity, body fat, and muscle mass. We then do a “Biological Age” calculation so you can watch as your biologic age decreases through effective LifeStyle and supplement choices.
The 3 Major lessons I have learned over the past 27 years in practice are:
- Our supplements must fit our needs, just like clothes or shoes, to be effective.
- A great LifeStyle synergistically boosts our benefit from our supplements and a terrible LifeStyle will overwhelm the best supplements.
- Professional-grade supplements are a smart investment since they are consistently effective and free of contamination and quality problems.